JANUARY is Spay/Neuter month
In January only, 20% off cats & dogs spay & neuters
The chart below is a gross reality of what happens when we are not responsible pet owners:
1st year= 16 cats
2nd year= 154 cats
3rd year= 1,376 cats
4th year= 13,931 cats
1st year= 4 dogs
2nd year= 12 dogs
3rd year= 36 dogs
4th year= 108 dogs
5th year= 324 dogs
Only one in ten will find a new home. The other nine will
die because they are unable to be placed in homes. Some might be humanely put to sleep, but most will be left to die a slow and possibly painful death. Please help end the needless destruction of animals!
PLEASE BE RESPONSIBLE PET OWNERS- SPAY & NEUTER YOUR PETS!
See more information under spay/neuter tab
COMING IN FEBRUARY: NATIONAL PET DENTAL MONTH
CALL TODAY TO SET YOU FREE DENTAL EVALUATION
WITH OUR HIGHLY QUALIFIED STAFF
**As we’re about to “deck the halls” and prepare a wonderful Christmas feast, lets review a few things that can help make the holidays happy and safe for our four legged elves…
Here are some foods that are hazardous to our pets:
Chocolate, Grapes and Raisins, Milk, Onions, Bones (especially cooked), Eggs, Avocados, Macadamia nuts, and Alcohol, just to name a few.
Chocolate is probably the best part of this holiday for many of us. Just remember to pick up some extra special treats for your pooch so that he wont be tempted to get into yours.
Chocolate can contain high amounts of fat and caffeine-like stimulants.If ingested in significant amounts, chocolate can potentially produce clinical effects in dogs ranging from vomiting and diarrhea to panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death in severe cases.
Typically, the darker the chocolate, the higher the potential for clinical problems from methylxanthine poisoning. White chocolate has the lowest methylxanthine content, while baking chocolate contains the highest. As little as 20 ounces of milk chocolate—or only two ounces of baking chocolate—can cause serious problems in a 10-pound dog. While white chocolate may not have the same potential as darker forms to cause a methylxanthine poisoning, the high fat content of lighter chocolates could still lead to vomiting and diarrhea, as well as the possible development of life-threatening pancreatitis, an inflammatory condition of the pancreas.
If your pets ingest ANY of these things, contact your veterinarian immediately!!!
Here are a few plants that we need to be cautious of:
Poinsettia, Mistletoe, and Holly. Also, keep an eye on the tree to make sure that it doesn’t dry out. Pine needles can present a big problem if your pet ingests them. There is a danger that the pine needles might pierce their internal organs. Its probably safest to buy an artificial tree if you have a lot of furry friends around for the holidays.
It’s best not to have glass ornaments, but if you insist, then place them higher on the tree so that they are less likely to be bumped and knocked off. Ornament hooks are easy to overlook and that little metal or wire hook can cause injury if swallowed. A scratch or cut to your pets gastrointestinal tract can be serious and often costly. Also, when decorating the tree, try to avoid using tinsel (ice cycles) as they can become twisted around the intestines if swallowed and can cause irreparable damage.
After opening gifts, pick up the paper and ribbons immediately. Ribbons are a very attractive toy, especially to cats and kittens but can be deadly if ingested!
And again, we’d like to remind you: if you feel you HAVE to share your holiday dinner with your pets, please do so in moderation. Too much of a good thing can be harmful to your companion.
Presents are wonderful but be careful where you place the ribbons and bows from your packages. If ingested, ribbons can get wrapped around the intestines and cause major damage or worse.
WE WISH YOU A WONDERFUL
AND SAFE HOLIDAY!!!
Thanksgiving Day is a holiday that can pose many dangers to
cats, dogs and other pets. Take precautions to avoid holiday hazards to pets and keep in mind the following tips:
Keep Bones Out of a Dog or Cat’s Reach
Turkey bones can be very tempting to a cat or dog, and a dog or cat who eats a bone can suffer an intestinal obstruction, punctures and tears to the intestinal tract and potentially deadly internal bleeding. To avoid this danger, keep all bones in a sealed plastic container. Then, dispose of the bones in a sealed outdoor trash can.
Confine Cats and Dogs When Guests Arrive
Some dogs and cats are very social, others don’t appreciate
strangers. Many cats and dogs find holiday guests overwhelming and frightening. Combine this fright with a guest’s attempt to pet the nervous cat or dog and its highly likely for a dog or cat to bite or scratch. To avoid injury to the pet and to guests, supervise all interactions with the household pets. When this is not possible, it’s best to confine the cat or dog to a kennel or spare bedroom on Thanksgiving Day.
Thanksgiving Dinner for Dogs and Cats
Many dog and cat owners feel the urge to share their meal
with pets. This is usually permissible, but in moderation. Most of the foods served at Thanksgiving are safe for pets, though pet owners should always double-check a list of toxic food items just to make sure. Foods high in fat should always be avoided as this can cause pancreatitis, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Keep the Emergency Vet and Pet Poison
Control Numbers Handy
The holiday season is a common time for illness and injuries in pets. Always keep the number and address of your local veterinary clinic handy, along with the number to the ASPCA’s Pet Poison Control Center (888-426-4435) – just in case.
WE PROUDLY WELCOME
DR. MARTIN BURNETT, DVM
TO OUR COUNTRYSIDE TEAM
Dr. Martin Burnett, DVM joined our team October 1, 2014. He brings 20 years of experience in both large and small animal practice.
Dr. Martin graduated from Oregon State University School of Veterinary Medicine in 1994 and began his veterinary career at Bailey Veterinary in Roseburg .
Watch for Dr. Martin out and about in the new CVS out call truck.
Dr. Tammy and the CVS team invite you to call in and schedule your appointment with Dr. Martin today.
All proceeds benefit Countryside Veterinary’s Annie’s Fund
Annie’s fund is a savings account that our staff uses from time to time to help out a needy pet family. This might include money to help pay for a life saving operation or medicine for a sick pet. Our focus for this fund is elderly clients or others who are on a fixed income.
Donations into this account are made throughout the year by our generous clients, through raffles, And other fundraisers. This is a small gesture, but every little bit helps when a pet has an unexpected illness.
One ticket for $1.00 or six tickets for $5.00
Winner will be announced October 1, 2014
Quilt on display at Umpqua Bank. Tickets must be purchased here at Countryside Veterinary.
She was the winner of Kindle Fire. Diane has many sweet dogs who take Merial flea products. Thank you Merial for donating the Kindle Fire for the raffle. Watch for more fun raffles in the future!